About Me

My photo
I am so happy being married and living with my best friend. We adopted our first child, Ari, in 2011 through a domestic adoption and our second, Jude, in 2014.

Popular Posts

Sunday, October 6, 2013

Ch-Ch-Changes

About three weeks ago Mike and I went to the USCIS office in Oklahoma City to have our fingerprints done. This completed the process of filing our I-600A, the first big piece of government paperwork for international adoption. We were silly and giddy the whole time and just really excited about being one step closer to our girl.

A few days ago we received our I-600A approval in the mail. This means that we are now approved by the US government to adopt a child from a foreign country and bring them back here to the states. It also means that we are now able to be matched with a child through our agency. Such a big and exciting step! However, we are asking our agency to hold off on giving us a referral right now and here's why...

About six months ago someone contacted me and let me know that they were pregnant and looking to place their child for adoption. Now, let me tell you this...I, obviously, have a passion for adoption, but I also have a passion for birth moms. I love and respect them so much. So I was really excited to talk with her and give her any of my advice and support I could offer.

Over the months one thing kind of led to another aaand...she has chosen us to be the adoptive parents to her baby! So yes, we are now on plan to adopt a baby boy here in the states in early December. The due date is a little less than 10 weeks away. We are shocked, thrilled, honored, and excited. And I mean seriously, talk about an honor. I never expected this when she and I first started talking, so what an honor that she wants us to be this part of the process and journey now. And though I'm sure Ari isn't quite sure what it all means, he absolutely loves talking about his "baby brother" to come!

So the million dollar question is, "What about Africa now??"

I wish I had a solid answer I could give you. All I have is our thoughts and plans for this moment and here they are: We still have a passion for Africa and Congo. We still believe strongly that our daughter may be in Congo. So we are not closing out our international adoption process. We are still keeping everything current with our Congo agency, but just asking that they hold off on giving us a match/referral right now. We are doing this to simply give ourselves some time to adjust to having a two year-old and a newborn. Because heaven knows, that's going to be an adjustment!

How long will we be asking them to wait on giving us a referral after the baby is born? 2 months, 6 months, 1 year? I don't know. We're just going to wait and see how things feel once "baby brother" is with us and then take things from there.

For a personality like mine, that's difficult to do. I like rules, structures, and timelines. So this is certainly giving me an opportunity to put more faith in God and His plans for my family. I wish I knew exactly what was going to happen, but I never saw this coming in our path and wow, what a blessing it is!

So our faith and family is in God's hands and we will just take it all one day at a time.

My hope is built on nothing less than Jesus' blood and righteousness. I dare not trust the sweetest frame, but wholly lean on Jesus' name.
On Christ the solid rock I stand, all other ground is sinking sand; all other ground is sinking sand.

32 comments:

Chris Wills said...

Very cool! Can't wait to meet Chalupa Batman!

Danielle Merrill said...

How exciting! Congratulations.

Annie Sigler said...

SO EXCITING!!!!! What an amazing journey for you all!

Kayla Copeland said...

Oh wow that is an amazing story! I am so happy for you and your family, even though we aren't close it is a blessing keeping up with your family and journey through adoption. I am keeping your family in my thoughts and prayers!

Ian McLoud said...

That's just awesome. Congratulations to you both!

Shane Coffman said...

Holy Moley! ; ). Congrats!

Jessica Martin Ring said...

Amazing! GOD is so good!! Congrats ;)

Coachie Bowers said...

I love the way God works!

Jillian Gibson said...

I've been waiting SO long for this!!!!! So excited for y'all. December will be here SO soon!!!!! Wahoo!!!!!!

Jenny 'White' Connell said...

So so so excited!!! Can not wait to meet baby brother!!!

Denyce Willis said...

Very excited for you!

Chelsey Dawn Wilks said...

Very awesome!

Amelia May said...

Giddy excited! Can NOT wait to see (hear about) Ari as Big Brother! This is going to be priceless!

Mrs. J said...

Wow!!! Amazing how God works!!! Congratulations! Can't wait to hear more and see first pics of the little guy!!

Sheryl Noel Klenovich said...

How exciting! So happy for you all and encouraged too!

Janet Laudett said...

WOW--exciting!

maren said...

What great news! Thrilled for you guys!

Shelley... G said...

How awesome guys!!

Carly Burson said...

So happy for you all!!! I can hardly wait to meet Ari's little brother! You inspire me my friend! Love you!

Laura Steinert Bryant said...

Yay! So exciting!!

Bethany Bell Good said...

So exciting!!!!

Michelle Bowers said...

I am so excited for you guys!!!

Tammy Bowers said...

Woot!! So awesome! Congratulations!

Leslie Stephens said...

Ahhh! Guys, this is so great! We are so happy for y'all!

Hilary Anthony Nicholson said...

Oh my goodness!! Praise the Lord for his faithfulness!!

Linda Anderson said...

That is so exciting. Sounds like God has big plans for you.

Heather McDonald Lonergan said...

This is wonderful!! So cool!

Heather Von Rhee Journeycake said...

Congratulations- what a blessing!

Jana Heidebrecht said...

How exciting!!! Congratulations!

Stacey Root said...

That is so fantastic! Congratulations!!

Katie Joy Allen said...

Congratulations! Praying for you guys during this transition!!

Unknown said...

Yay!!! Oh my goodness, what a Godsend!